The 21st edition of the Rainforest World Music Festival is just around the corner, with new attractions and an expanded venue for even more activities, entertainment and fun. It takes place from July 13 to 15 at the Sarawak Cultural Village and Damai Central, a 45 minute drive from downtown Kuching.
- This year’s Festival will expand to include Damai Central where the Tent Stage is located, providing a platform for emerging local bands to perform professionally before an international audience, in addition to the Jungle and Tree stage within the main Festival grounds at Sarawak Cultural Village.
- The Festival has introduced a DJ set at Escobar in Damai Central for adults who are ready to party past their bedtime. It will be open to the public after the final concert performances of the Festival every night.
- Cultural snippets and pop-up performances will also take place throughout the Festival, with intermittent traditional performances taking place in the traditional houses throughout the grounds as well as parades and unexpected performances, taking the audience by surprise before disappearing back into the crowd.
- The Wellness and Lifestyle classes are back, with activities such as Tai Chi, Yoga, Line Dancing, Pilates, Wushu, Zumba and many more.
- Mini sessions and workshops are also back in action, with small interactive performances for a more intimate and educational experience for festival-goers while children’s sessions take place as well, with educational and fitness activities targeted for children.
- A stellar line up of local and international talent are set to take stage at the Festival, with local Sarawak bands such as Sada Borneo and At Adau, as well as SwarAsia Malaysia from Malaysia.
- Internationally, the Festival will feature the artistes Grace Nono from the Philippines, Oyme from the Republic of Mordovia in Russia, Elisouma from Comoros Islands, Dona Onete from Brazil, Slobodan Trkulja and Balkanopolis from Serbia, Bhungar Khan Company and Raghu Dixit Project from India, Niteworks from Isle of Skye and Kevin Locke from the United States.
- Also featured are Combo Ginebra from Chile, Alberto Marin from Spain, Gayogayo from Indonesia, Shanren from China, Djeli Moussa Conde from Guinea, Naedrum from Korea, Warato’o from Solomon Islands, Yallah Bye from Tunisia and Volosi from Poland.
- Some performers from different continents and countries will be performing together in a fusion of sound such as Guo Gan & Aly Keita from China and Cote d’lvoire, as well as Cuatro Minimal with members from Mexico, Korea and Japan.
- Pre-concert performances such as the crowd favorite 1Drum interactive drum session and the new Persatuan Chingay Pulau Pinang performance will be taking place in the amphitheater at Damai Central in the evening.
The Festival tickets are currently being sold at pre-sale prices till July 12, with one-day passes sold at RM123.80 for adults and RM63.80 for children and three-day passes at RM323.80 and RM144.00respectively.
This event is organised by the Sarawak Tourism Board, endorsed by Tourism Malaysia and is jointly supported by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Malaysia and Ministry of Tourism, Arts, Culture, Youth and Sports, Sarawak, with AirAsia as Flight Partner.
For more information, visit www.rwmf.net